iOS 8 is the next operating system for the iPad, iPod and iPhone. It is rumored to contain a new app called Healthbook, integration with the iWatch and minor enhancements to the user interface. The picture below, supposedly a screenshot of iOS 8 on the iPhone 6, was found on Weibo by BGR.
Leaked picture of iOS 8?
What We See
The screenshot shows 5 columns of apps by 6 row of apps, then a bottom row of 5 additional apps (total of 35 apps). This is more than the iPhone 5s has: 24 apps. The iPhone 6 is rumored to come in both a 4.7″ size and 5.5″ size so they screenshot may be from a larger device. Most of the apps are laid out in the default position that Apple puts them in (e.g. Messages, Calendar, Photos). There are some new apps: iTunes Radio (its own app), CarPlay, Healthbook, Watch Utility and Apple’s own purchasable apps like Keynote and iMovie.
The time at the top is 9:41am, which Apple uses in all its screenshots on their website. There is no cellular carrier listed and the battery is at 100%, suggesting the screenshot is not from an actually device, but one made by Apple to post on their website or other devices.
Here’s the default screen for the iPhone 5c.
Is It Real?
First and foremost, all the apps shown in the screenshot (of the apps that currently exist) line up with what you would see on the iPhone 5s. The icons are all the same so this provides some authenticity in each app. Secondly some new apps are present, which line up with current rumors.
- iOS 8 will bring integration with the iPhone and the iWatch (Watch Utility app)
- iTunes Radio is likely to be expanded to compete with competitors like Pandora, so it may require it to have its own app (iTunes Radio app)
- CarPlay has been announced recently, allowing your new car to use iOS. This may require a downloadable app for use (CarPlay app)
- Healthbook has been rumored to be a part of iOS 8 to provide a health and fitness focus to Apple’s operating system
- Perhaps Apple’s other apps are present because they want to fill the Home screen to show the size of the display (but why didn’t they use Find My iPhone or Find My Friends?) This brings us to the next section:
- Why are Apple’s paid apps listed on the Home screen instead of other important apps, like Find My iPhone?
- Why is the background an iOS 7 wallpaper, wouldn’t Apple add new wallpapers (or at least a new one to be associated with iOS 8)?
- Where are the other apps that were leaked like Tips and Preview?
- In actual screenshots by Apple, the Passbook app is behind iTunes Store and App Store, why is it before it?
- Where did the user on Weibo get the picture from?
These questions lead me to question the authenticity of the screenshot. Based on my analysis, I believe it is not real.