On Monday, Apple released the third beta of iOS 8.4 to developers and the second beta of iOS 8.4 to the public beta testers. The fourth major update to iOS 8 comes with completely redesigned Music app with new features, including a mini player and Up Next functionality, and a new design for iTunes Radio.
For public beta testers, the second iOS 8.4 beta doesn’t include too many new features except for bug fixes. The only feature we noticed was trending searches in iTunes Radio similar to the App Store.
For developers, the third beta comes with a bunch of new features (as discovered by 9to5Mac):
- small design tweaks to iTunes Radio
- toggles in the Music app for switching on/off access to music stored in the Cloud
- music search history shows previous local searches and iTunes Radio searches
- Now Playing screen appears when a new song starts versus just the mini player opening
- new animation for selecting a song for Up Next
- new iPhone logo for music stored on your device
- Trending Searches from iOS 8.4 beta 2 is gone (likely temporarily)
On a side note, if Apple continues to release a new beta every two weeks, we anticipate the fourth beta on May 29th, and the public release on June 8th (the first day of WWDC).